A very traditional dish made in South India. Pineapple Keasribath is a most commonly made sweet during weddings. In my childhood I remember loving it specially, because it was only prepared & served during weddings. Not many moms those days made it at home.
Nowadays we all at least try to prepare Pineapple Kesaribath once during special occasions in our homes for our loved ones.
It is a very easy recipe that you can prepare fast and at any occasions throughout the year.
I made it specially to welcome the New Year Traditional style.
Please do try it, it is a very simple dish to prepare. Definitely a crowd pleaser.
1 Cup – Medium/Upma Rava/Semolina
1/2 Cup – Sugar
1/2 Cup – Ghee (I used 1/4 cup ghee & 1/4 cup flavourless cooking oil)
1/2 Cup – Diced Pineapple (I used canned Pineapple, I drained the water in a cup & diced the pineapple in small pieces)
1 1/2 Cup – Water (I used 1/2 cup pineapple juice from the can & 1 cup plain water)
1/2 Tsp – Elaichi, Elakkai, Cardamom powder
1 Tsp – Pineapple essence
1/4 Tsp – Turmeric powder
2 Tsp – Ghee
* Heat a Non-stick Kadai & dry fry Rava/Semolina until it is hot.
* Once the rava is hot add 1 Tsp ghee and fry the rava on low heat. Fry until the rava & ghee have blended together & the rava is lose & grainy in texture. Remove from kadai & set aside.
* Add 1 tsp ghee and roast the cashews until golden brown & remove from heat & set aside.
* In the same kadai fry the pineapple pieces until all the water evapourates, remove from heat & set aside.
* Heat the Kadai, pour 1/2 cup ghee(oil) once it is warm add the roasted rava and mix well.
* Add the roasted pineapple pieces & mix well.
* Add the elaichi/cardamom powder, pineapple essence & mix well.
* Pour the soaked saffron into the rava mixture, in another pan bring the 1 1/2 cup water to boil & pour it into the rava mixture and mix well. Cover it & let it cook for 5 to 8 minutes on low heat.
* Open the lid mix well, then add sugar (I added 1/2 cup sugar which gives medium sweet, if you want it really sweet you can add 3/4 cup sugar) & turmeric powder and mix really well. Keep stirring until the sugar dissolves well.
* As the Kesaribath comes together add the cashews and mix well.
* Turn off heat & ready to serve.