Potato Sagu / Curry is a warming dish & is specially made for Rava Idlies in southern parts of India.
It is also eaten along with Puri, Dosa etc. But, we highly recommend you to taste this sagu with rava idlies.
Its simple ingredients, method & great taste will tempt you to prepare the dish. You will definitely enjoy eating & sharing the dish.
- 3 – medium potatoes (i have peeled the skin, diced to 2 inch size & boiled it in salt water until it is cooked completely- takes 15 minute).
- 1 – Small Onion
- 1 – Small Tomato
- 2 Tsp – Oil
- ½ Tsp – Mustard, Jeera
- 1 pinch – Hing
- 1 Tsp – Channa Dal/Kadle Bele/Kadala Parupu
- 1 Tsp – Urad Dal/Uddin Bele/Uluntha Parupu
- 7-8 – Curry Leaves
- 1 Tsp – Grated Ginger
- 1/4 Tsp – Garam Masala
- 2 – Green Chillies (slit into two)
- Salt to taste
- 2 Tsp – Besan/Kadle hittu/Kadala Mavu/Gram Flour
- 1 Glass – Water
- ½ Tsp – Turmeric powder
- A few Leaves – Coriander/Dhania
- Boil the potatoes with salt water until cooked & set aside.
- Heat a kadai, add oil, mustard/jeera, hing, channa dal, urad dal & curry leaves. Sauté well.
- Add grated ginger, green chillies, sauté. Add onions salt & sauté until the onions are translucent.
- Add besan/gram flour & sauté so the besan gets cooked well.
- Add tomato sauté, cover with lid & on low heat let the tomato cook for a few minutes.
- After a few minutes open lid mix well, add garam masala & sauté.
- Take the cooked potatoes mash lightly (we need a chunky consistency).
- Add the potatoes to the masala & sauté for a few minutes.
- Add turmeric & water mix well.
- Let it come to boil.
- Add a few leaves of coriander/dhania leaves.
- Check salt, add if necessary.
- Turn off stove & ready to serve. (sagu will thicken as it cools, you can add 1/4 glass water & heat it before serving).