Rava Idlies/Steamed Semolina Cakes are one of the most famous breakfast dishes in South India. It is made in many homes, a very healthy & wonderful way to start your day.
Rava Idlies/Steamed Semolina Cakes are usually eaten with Chutney, Veg Sagu/Curry, Potato Sagu/Curry. Our most favourite combo with Rava Idlies are Pudina/Mint Chutney & Potato Sagu/Curry.
I have posted video recipes for Pudina Chutney & Potato Sagu over the previous week. The Link is given below.
Please do try this Rava Idli Recipe, also try the combination sides (Pudina/Mint Chutney & Potato Sagu) together on your leisure. I know for sure that You, Your Family, the Folks you are cooking for will have a delicious journey through different flavours & textures.
1 Cup – Rava/Semolina (Upma Rava/Medium Rava)
2 Cup – Plain Curd/PlainYogurt
2 Tsp – Oil
1 Tsp – Ghee
1/2 Tsp – Mustard,Jeera
2 Pinch of Hing/Asafoetida
1 Tsp – Channa Dal/Kadle Bele/Kadala Parupu
1 Tsp – Urad Dal/Uddin Bele/Uluntha Parupu
1 or 2 Tbsp – Cashews (chopped)
1 Tsp – Curry Leaves (chopped finely)
1 Tsp – Grated Ginger
1 Tsp – Table Salt
¼ Cup – Grated Carrot
A few slices of Tomato
1 Tsp – Fruit Salt (or you can use ½ Tsp Baking Soda)
(This quantity makes 10-12 Idlies)
- Heat a Heavy bottom pan/kadai.
- Pour oil, ghee, mustard, jeera, hing, channa dal, urad dal & sauté.
- Add chopped cashews & sauté on low heat.
- Add chopped curry leaves & sauté until the lentil start to turn light brown.
- Add grated ginger & sauté.
- Add Rava/Semolina & sauté nicely for a few (3-4) minutes on medium low heat. When it has all come together nicely (look for a nice dry grainy mixture) turn off heat. Transfer it to a bowl, set aside & let it cool. (please ensure the colour of the Rava/Semolina mixture does not change).
- In another bowl pour the plain curd/yogurt & mix/whisk nicely (please do not add water).
- Add salt & mix well.
- Set the steamer on heat.
- Take the Idli molds, you can pour plain rava idlies or for colourful Idlies add a few grated carrot shreds, one slice of tomato in each mold. You can also add any veggies (shredded or sliced) of your choice.
- Now you need to add the fruit salt or baking soda to the curd/yogurt & mix it well.
- Pour this mixture immediately to the Rava/Semolina mixture & mix it well.
- You can leave this mixture to sit just for 1 or 2 minutes. (This quantity makes 10-12 Idlies/steamed semolina cakes)
- Pour the required amount of mixture immediately on the idli molds.
- Set it in the pre heated Steamer. It takes approximately 10 minutes to cook the Idlies.
- Please ensure not to steam for long as the Rava Idlies/Semolina cakes may lose the softness.
- Around 10 minutes open the steamer & pierce a knife in the idli, if it cuts through nicely into the idli, it is done. Remove the molds from the steamer & let it cool for 3-4 minutes.
- With a cup of water, dip a spoon in a cup of water. Slowly run it around the idli in the mold & remove the idli/steamed semolina cake one by one.
- Ready to serve.