This is yet another simple, quick to make & delicious chunky tomato chutney. A super healthy chutney that can be prepared in a jiffy with very simple ingredients.
This chutney gives a tangy (from the tomatoes), mildly sweet taste (from the sautéed onions). Last but not the least the silent heroes in this dish are the sautéed Mustard & Curry leaves. Since it is chunky in consistency there is a bite to it. You will get a very fulfilling taste when you eat this chutney.
Please do try this recipe.
This chutney goes great with Idli, Dosa, Phulkas, Curd Rice, Hot Rice with Ghee etc.
- 2 Tsp – Oil/Ghee/Butter
- ½ Tsp – Mustard, Jeera (cumin seeds)
- 8-10 – Curry Leaves
- 1 – Large Onion
- 3 – Medium Tomatoes (moderately ripe)
- 1 Tsp – Salt
- ¼ Tsp – Turmeric Powder
- 1 Tsp – Homemade Sambhar Powder or Curry Powder (or we can add only ¼ tsp plain chilli powder)
- Heat a Kadai & add Mustard, Jeera, sauté. (keep the heat on low).
- We let the mustard crackle. (if we do not let the mustard to crackle the chutney make turn bitter).
- Add the curry leaves & sauté.
- Then add diced onion, salt & sauté well. (turn the heat on medium & cover the kadai with a lid& let the onion cook well).
- Once the onion turn translucent, add the diced tomatoes & sauté.
- We close the kadai with a lid & let the tomatoes cook on low heat. (we need to let the tomatoes cook for just a few minutes).
- Please do not add any water. (as the tomatoes will release its juices)
- We need to let the tomatoes cook just until they start to get soft.
- Add turmeric powder, turn off heat.
- Add homemade sambhar powder or curry powder & mix well. (we can also add plain chilli powder only).
- Transfer the mixture into a mixy (blender) jar & let it cool.
- We need to make sure the mixture fills only half of the jar, else the chutney may spill over the jar while blending.
- To blend it to a chunky consistency we need to :-
- Use the pulse/whip option in the mixy (blender) & pulse it 2-3 times & then check (or)
- Just run the mixy (blender) in the normal mode for a few seconds & then check.
- Pour it into a bowl & ready to serve.