This Beetroot & Potato Curry is a Humble Warming dish, a simple dish to prepare.
Just as our eyes love colours, so does our body. Let’s make a meal atleast a few days in a week completely dedicated to our body,
A vegetable that fulfills most of the requirements for a healthy body is Beetroot (an Underrated Veggie), we need to include it in our diet as much as we can. It is packed with nutrients, is a great after workout veggie, helps your body endure & respond better to workouts.
The Simple ingredients added in making this curry only enhances the beetroot flavor & the potato helps in absorbing the beets colour, flavor & acts as a thickening agent which makes this curry very delicious. Every bite you take will give you a surprise of a well cooked soft Beetroots & Potatoes, they make a great combination here.
Do try this recipe, this recipe will definitely make your body really happy.
This curry goes great with Roti, Phulkas, Hot Rice, Dosa. It makes great leftovers.
- 1 Large – Onion chopped
- 3 Medium – Tomatoes chopped (3 tomatoes gives good gravy, you can reduce if you wish)
- 8-10 – Curry Leaves
- ½ Tsp – Mustard, Cumin/Jeera
- 2 Tsp – Oil
- ½ Tsp – Ghee
- 8-10 – Cloves of Garlic
- 1/4 Tsp – Turmeric powder
- 2 Tsp – Homemade Sambhar Powder/Curry powder
- 1 ½ Cups – Beetroot (cut in cubes)
- 1 ½ Cups – Potatoes (cut in cubes)
- ¼ Tsp – Garam Masala (homemade)
- 1 Tbsp – Finely chopped Coriander/Dhania, Pudina/Mint Leaves
- 1 ¼ – Glass of Water
- Salt to taste
- Heat a pressure cooker, add oil & ghee. (keep heat on low).
- Add mustard, cumin seeds/jeera, let it crackle.
- Add Curry leaves & sauté.
- Add chopped onion, sauté & add salt mix well. We need to let the onions turn translucent. (Keep heat on medium).
- Then add the chopped tomatoes & sauté well.
- As the tomatoes are cooking add garlic & sauté well.
- We need to let the tomatoes cook well for a few minutes.
- Add turmeric powder, mix well.
- Once the tomatoes have cooked well (turned soft) we add the homemade sambhar powder/curry powder, sauté well. (this curry gives medium heat, if you want more heat you can add 1/4 tsp Chilli powder).
- Add the cubed beetroot, sauté well & then add the cubed potatoes & sauté. (keep the heat on medium high).
- Add water, just place the lid on the pressure cooker & bring the mixture to boil.
- Once the curry starts to boil nicely, lock the pressure cooker lid & we let it make one whistle. Turn off heat & let it cool down.
- Once the pressure cooker has cooled down, open the lid & add salt, mix well. (keep heat on medium).
- We let it cook for a few seconds on medium heat. (if u feel the curry is too watery let it cook for a few minutes & it will thicken).
- Add garam masala mix well & turn off heat. (this curry will thicken as it cools).
- Add chopped coriander, mint leaves mix well & ready to serve.