Urad Dal / Split Black Gram dal (skinned) is a staple in Indian diet. It is used in making many dishes for eg. It is used in preparing Idlis, Dosa, Vada, Dal curry, we also use it when we need to season many dishes. Urad dal/Split Black Gram dal has nutrient values, is packed with proteins, iron & improves digestion. This chutney as a whole has nutritional values & is good for you.
Here I have prepared it as chutney, which many families prepare & each of us have our own recipes. I am sharing the recipe that I prepare, it is easy to prepare & definitely tasty too.
The urad dal/split black gram dal tastes its best in this chutney recipe. This chutney has a beautiful nutty taste as the dal is lightly roasted in little oil with onions which adds sweetness along with a hint of heat from the dry red chillies. It is then grounded with a bit of tamarind which gives a sour taste, freshly grated coconut for sweetness & depth in flavour. As a whole the chutney fulfills a complete taste palette, which we will definitely enjoy.
Please do give it a try, the ingredients are very simple & are usually available in our kitchen. Easy recipe & we can prepare it quickly too.
This chutney goes great with Idlis, Dosa, Hot rice, Rotis too.
- 2 Tsp – Oil
- 2 heap Tsp – Urad Dal/ Split Black Gram Dal (skinned)
- 5-6 numbers – Byadagi Chillies/Dry Red Kashmiri Chillies (which has no heat but is used for its earthy flavour & red colour)
- 2 numbers – Guntur/ Dry Red Chillies (this chilly has heat, I used two which gives moderate heat, if you want more heat add 1-2 more chillies)
- 1 Large – Onion
- Salt to taste
- 1 Inch – Tamarind piece (soaked in ½ cup of water)
- ½ Measuring cup – Grated Coconut
- Water as required to grind to a paste
To Season the Chutney
- 1 Tsp – Oil
- ¼ Tsp – Mustard, Jeera/Cumin seeds
- 4-5 Curry Leaves
- Heat a kadai/wok, add 2 tsp oil (please keep heat on low).
- Add urad dal & sauté for a few minutes.
- Add the red chillies & sauté.
- Then add chopped onion & sauté.
- Add salt & sauté.
- We need to sauté the onion until it turns soft & translucent.
- Once the onions turn translucent, we turn off heat & transfer it to a mixy/blender jar.
- We add the tamarind soaked in water (we add only the soaked tamarind).
- Add grated coconut.
- Pour ¼ cup of water & grind it to a paste.
- Then transfer the chutney to a serving bowl. (to remove all the chutney from the mixy/blender jar, pour a few tbsp of water into the mixy jar mix & pour the water into the bowl with the chutney).
- Mix well & set aside.
Season the Chutney:
- Heat a small pan & add oil (please keep heat on low)
- Add mustard seeds, jeera/cumin seeds
- Once it starts to crackle add curry leaves
- Sauté, turn off heat & pour it into the chutney
- Mix well
- Ready to serve