An Easy yet Delicious Raw Mango Curry, is a seasonal dish that is prepared during summer as we get abundant varieties of Mangoes & some Mango varieties make great curries too. This dish is simple, easy to prepare for summer & has a unique sour Raw Mango flavour.
We use Sesame/Til oil for this dish as its nutrient values help us more during summer, the curry has beautiful mild sweet flavour from the onions sautéed in sesame oil & tomatoes are added to give more flavour & gravy. Then Homemade Sambhar powder/Curry powder is added for a delicious spicey flavour & also to thicken the gravy after which diced Raw Mango pieces are sautéed in this mixture & cooked well. Finally a teaspoon of Jaggery/Brown Sugar is added just before we turn off heat, to bring down the sharp sourness from the raw mango & to also add mild sweetness to the curry.
You can also make this curry a sweet & sour dish, which is also very delicious, you will need to add 2 teaspoon of jaggery/brown sugar which brings more sweetness to the sour curry & changes the flavour completely.
Please do try this dish, a very simple, easy curry to prepare this summer. Its flavour increases as it sits & it makes great leftovers.
This Curry goes great with Curd Rice (plain yogurt rice), Lemon Rice, Rotis, Phulkas etc.
- 4 Tsp – Oil (I used Sesame/Gingelly/Til/Yellu Oil)
- ½ Tsp – Mustard seeds, Cumin seeds/Jeera
- 5-6 – Curry Leaves
- 1 – Onion Medium
- 2 – Tomatoes Medium
- Salt to taste
- ¼ Tsp – Turmeric Powder
- ½ Tsp – Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder
- 2 Tsp – Homemade Sambhar Powder/Curry Powder
- 1 Cup – Skinned, Diced Raw/Unripe Mango (I used Totapuri/Ginimoothi/Kili Mooku raw/unripe Mango)
- 1 or 2 Tsp – Jaggery/Brown Sugar
- 1 Cup – Water (to help the raw mango cook well & for gravy)
- Heat a Wok/Kadai & pour Sesame oil (plz keep heat on low).
- Once the oil heats up a bit add mustard seeds, cumin seeds/jeera & we let it splutter.
- We add the curry leaves & sauté.
- Add the chopped onion & sauté.
- We add the salt to help the onions cook well & then we cover the wok with a lid to let the onion cook well.
- After a few minutes we open, the onions are cooked & translucent.
- Now we add the chopped tomatoes, sauté well.
- We cover the wok with a lid & let the tomatoes cook well.
- After a few minutes we open the lid, the tomatoes will have become soft & we mash the mixture with a spoon/spatula to help it make more gravy.
- We add the turmeric powder, sauté it.
- Then we add the Kashmiri red chilli powder & sauté well.
- We add the homemade sambhar powder/curry powder & sauté.
- Now we add the diced raw mango & sauté well.
- After a minute we add we add water ½ cup at a time & mix well (to help the mango cook well & for gravy we add water).
- We cover the wok with a lid & let the mango cook well in the curry. (Please keep the heat on low).
- After 8-10 minutes we open the lid, we check & the mango is cooked well.
- Finally we add the jaggery/brown sugar, mix & then turn off heat. (I added 1 tsp of jagger/brown sugar, it cuts the sharp sournes, brings out raw mango flavour & enhances the flavour of the curry, if you wish sweet & sour flavour you can add 2 tsp or more of jaggery/brown sugar).
- Ready to serve.