Peas Pulao, a very simple but delicious warming dish that you will love making & eating it just to perk you up. This dish is for those days when you want to prepare something healthy easy & special. Pulao is a method of preparing spiced/flavoured rice along with veggies/chicken etc in one pot. It is a dish that many people are found of in India & is usually made on special occasions. We do prepare it at homes too & is great for one of those days when you really need a simple, easy meal to just lift your spirits. It can be eaten with any Curry or Raita. Raita is a side dish where cool raw veggies are cut & mixed with plain yogurt/curd, gives an amazing cooling/refreshing effect to your palette. Raita is usually prepared & served as a side dish when we prepare spicy rice dishes to balance the flavours.
Here I have made the carrot raita a bit more flavourful to match the simple fragrant peas pulao so that each bite gives you an amazing combination of flavours.
In this post I am sharing Peas Pulao & Carrot Raita. Please do give it a try.
Dish 1 – Carrot Raita:
- 1 Cup – Plain Yogurt/Curd
- 1 – Green Chilli (you can use coarsely ground pepper too)
- ½ of a Small Onion or ¼ Cup – Thinly sliced
- 2 – 3 Pinch – Nutmeg/Jayphal/Jaayikai Powder
- ½ Cup – Freshly Grated Carrot
- ½ Tsp – Salt (or as per your taste)
- 1 Tsp – Fresh Coriander/Dhania Leaves
- 1 Tsp – Fresh Mint/Pudina Leaves
- Pour plain yogurt/curd into a bowl then add the green chilli cut into two.
- Add the thinly sliced onion & mix well.
- Then add the grated carrot mix well & then add nutmeg powder & mix well.
- Add the fresh coriander, Mint leaves & mix well.
- Last add salt as per taste, mix well.
- Refrigerate it & then serve.
- Tastes best when served chilled.
Dish 2 – Peas Pulao:
- Soak Rice:
- 1 Cup Rice (I used Sona Masoori Rice)
- Rinse & soak rice in water for 20 minutes
- Prepare Coconut Milk: (optional, you can use store bought coconut milk too):
- Put ½ cup freshly grated coconut into a mixy/blender jar.
- Pour ½ cup hot water & beat it to a fine paste.
- Pour the paste through a filter/sieve & strain out the coconut milk into a bowl.
- Add ½ cup very hot water into the jar, swirl it a bit to get all the coconut paste & pour it into the filter/sieve over the coconut paste & strain to get more coconut milk.
- With the back of the spoon press the coconut paste residue in the filter/sieve so all remaining the coconut milk is strained out.
- It makes 1 cup coconut milk.
- Place it aside.
Method for Peas Pulao:
- Heat a heavy bottom pressure cooker, pour in oil & ghee (please keep heat on low).
- Then add Cloves, Cinnamon, Kapok buds/Marathi moggu/shalmali, dry Bay leaves & sauté.
- Then add grated ginger & garlic, salt & sauté well.
- Then add chopped green chillies & sauté (this gives moderate heat, you can alter the green chillies as per your preference).
- Add the chopped onion & sauté well. We cover with a lid & let the onion cook well.
- After a few minutes open the lid & the onion will be soft & translucent. (it is important to make sure none of the ingredients turn brown while cooking, as it will change the colour of the pulao).
- Then we add the soaked & drained rice, sauté gently. (use a silicon/wooden spoon to sauté the rice so that it does not break).
- Sauté for a few seconds till the moisture reduces & then add fresh peas. (you can use frozen peas too).
- Sauté gently for a minute.
- Then pour the 1 cup coconut milk we prepared earlier.
- Now pour 1 & ½ Cup water & mix gently.
- The Rice Water proportion is 1:2 ½ (For 1 cup rice we added 2 ½ cup liquid, 1 cup coconut milk & 1 ½ cup water).
- Taste & add salt if required, mix well.
- We place the lid on the pressure cooker & let the mixture come to boil.
- After a few minutes once it comes to boil take the lid & lock it to the pressure cooker. (keep heat on medium).
- Once the pressure cooker gives one whistle & turn off heat.
- We open the lid after 15 minutes or immediately after the pressure is reduced so that the rice does not over-cook.
- We gently fluff the rice by using a silicon/wooden spoon. Slide the spoon to the bottom of the cooker & gently lift the rice from the bottom & fluff it. We do this few times to mix the rice carefully without breaking the rice.
- Then we add fresh coriander/dhania leaves & fresh mint/pudina leaves, gently mixing it to the rice.
- Ready to serve.