A Simple Delicious Chicken dish, it does not get any easier than this.
This dish was & is still prepared in our homes as an Indo-Chinese specialty dish, we loved it & still do.
A Tasty Finger Licking Chicken dish with simple ingredients. Please do not be intimidated with the chillies, as the dish is not very spicy/hot. The green chillies when chopped are added to dark Soy sauce, Vinegar which cuts the sharp heat from the green chillies & mellows the heat to give a lovely green chilli flavour to the marinate & the dish.
Please do try this recipe, its simple preparation will come to your rescue when you really need a quick meal & it tastes really good too.
It goes great with Fried Rice, Rotis, Phulkas, Dal/Rasam Rice or as a side dish for any meal.
- 4-5 Tsp – Oil
- 900 gms – Chicken (I used a whole chicken)
- 3 Tbsp – Dark Soy Sauce (please use dark soy sauce as it gives good colour to the dish)
- 3 Tbsp – White Vinegar (I used white chilli Vinegar, you can use plain white Vinegar)
- 1 Tbsp – Garlic Grated
- 1 Tbsp – Ginger Grated
- 2 medium – Onions (chopped)
- Salt to taste
- 2 Heap Tsp – Coriander/Dhania Powder
- 1 Tbsp – Freshly chopped Coriander/Dhania Leaves
- Take a wide bowl add Dark Soy sauce, Vinegar, chopped green chillies mix well (since the soy sauce is salty no additional salt is added).
- Add the chicken mix all the ingredients together well.
- Let it marinate in the refrigerator for atleast ½ hour.
- Heat a heavy bottom pan & add oil (please keep heat on low).
- Add the grated ginger, garlic, salt & sauté well.
- Add the chopped onions, sauté.
- Cover with a lid & let the onions cook.
- After a few minutes we open the lid, once the onions turn soft & translucent.
- Add the marinated chicken & sauté.
- Now we add the coriander/dhania powder & mix well.
- We cover with lid & let it cook (since the chicken will release its juices there is no need to add water, we keep heat on medium low).
- After 8-10 minutes we open the lid & stir the mixture.
- We cover with a lid again & let the chicken cook.
- After 8-10 minutes we open the lid & stir the mixture (It is important to check the mixture & stir it every few minutes so it does not brown too much).
- We let it cook in the open for a few more minutes so the gravy thickens as the chicken cooks.
- After a few minutes we check if the chicken is cooked, by taking one chicken piece & cutting it with a butter knife, when it cuts easily the chicken is cooked.
- We turn off heat.
- Add freshly chopped coriander/dhania leaves & mix well.
- Ready to serve.