For all the Cheese & Pasta lovers…
A delicious creamy white sauce pasta, a beautiful smooth flavourful creamy white sauce with soft beautiful bites of pasta. This dish has been made at many birthday parties & school celebrations & is loved by kids, also makes the adults into kids for a few minutes while eating it.
It is a very simple, quick but flavourful pasta in white sauce recipe. Please do give it a try. A dish fun to make & eat too…
- 2 Cups – Pasta, Penne (I have used Bambino brand penne pasta, you are welcome to use any pasta of your choice).
- 1 ½ Cups – Milk (I used the regular milk with 3 % fat).
- 1 Slice – Cheese (I used a slightly strong flavoured cheese, you can use any cheese of your choice & you can add more slices of cheese too).
- Salt – 1 tsp (to cook the pasta) & ½ Tsp – White sauce (since the cheese is salty we add less salt).
- 2 Tbsp – Flour/Maida
- 2 Tbsp – Butter
- 2 Tsp – Oil
- 1-2 Pinch – dry Oregano
- ¼ Tsp – Nutmeg/Jaiphal/Jaayikai powder
- ¼ Tsp – Pepper Powder
- 2 Tbsp – Pasta water (we save a cup of pasta cooked water to thin the sauce as required)
- We prepare pasta & the white sauce simultaneously.
- Heat a big pot of water (5-6 cups of water).
- Once it starts to boil add 1 tsp salt.
- Drop in 2 cups of pasta into the boiling water (If you are using a different brand of pasta please follow the cooking instructions as per the package, as you cook it check the pasta few minutes ahead of the cook time).
- Mix it & we let it cook.
- As the pasta cooks..
- We prepare the white sauce
- In another burner heat a wide, heavy pan (please keep heat on low).
- Add butter & we let it melt gently.
- Pour oil & then add the flour/maida.
- Quickly take a whisk & whisk well (we can turn off the heat & let the mixture cook in the heat of the pan.
- Once the mixture/roux is ready add milk & whisk well (milk can be in room temperature/warm).
- The sauce will start to thicken (it is important the heat of the pan is in low).
- Add dry oregano, nutmeg powder, pepper powder, salt & mix well (please try not to skip add the nutmeg, nutmeg & cheese make a great combo, nutmeg is good for digestion).
- Add the cheese & mix well (you can add more cheese if you wish).
- The white sauce is ready, we turn off heat & check on the pasta.
- I check the pasta a minute or two before the cook time mentioned on the package.
- The pasta is cooked just right or as the saying goes al dente.
- We drain the water (we save a cup of the pasta water, we can use it later to thin the sauce).
- We place the white sauce on low heat & gently drop the cooked pasta into the white sauce.
- Gently mix well & turn off heat (the sauce will thicken as it cools, just before serving add a few tbsp of hot milk/pasta water & heat it gently to make the sauce smooth).
- Ready to Serve.