Spices!! Unique versatile ingredients that make a simple dish taste heavenly. All of us love spices because of their beautiful fragrance & the warming, calming effect they have on us when tasted. They have healing & medicinal properties too. It is a known fact that Indians love their spices & it is used in every dish we prepare. A combination of spices ground, used for mostly savoury dishes is called Garam Masala powder.
There are innumerable varieties of spices & every home have their own recipes for Garam Masala powder & each region have their own favourite combination of spices usually based on the spices grown in their region etc.
Garam Masala, is generally a combination of spices that compliment each other based on its own essence & then they are ground together to make an aromatic spice blend so that they enhance the taste of the dish. Also, if you have a favourite spice you can add it along & make your own spice blend too.
I would like to share with you a Garam Masala Recipe which has simple set of spices that are usually available in our kitchen & can be prepared, stored easily in our homes. I use this Garam Masala powder in almost all the recipes I prepare. They also go great in international dishes too. They do enhance the dishes with a beautiful aroma & taste. Please do give it a try.
- 1 Tbsp – Cinnamon (1/2 inch 8 pieces)
- 1 Tsp – Pepper corns
- 1 Tsp – Cloves/Lavanga/Laung
- ¼ Tsp – Small Pieces of Nutmeg/Jaiphal/Jaayikai
- 1 Tbsp – Fennel Seeds/Saunf
- 1 Tsp – 8 – Cardamom Pods/Elaichi
- 1 Tsp – Jeera/Cumin Seeds
- 1 Tsp – Coriander/Dhania seeds
- Heat a Kadai/wok (please keep heat on low).
- Once it is warm add Cinnamon & dry fry it (we will fry the spices one at a time based on its thickness, we start with the more thick spices first).
- Now add Pepper corns, Cloves & dry fry them.
- Add Nutmeg & dry fry them.
- Add fennel seeds & fry them all.
- Now add Cardamom pods & fry them.
- Add Jeera/Cumin Seeds & fry.
- Add Coriander seeds/Dhania & fry well.
- We check now, when the spices are hot & we get a beautiful aroma the spices are ready (If you have a favourite spice you can add it too).
- Now we turn off heat (please do not let it cool in the kadai/wok as the spices may burn).
- Transfer it into a mixy/spice grinder jar & let it cool.
- Once it cools grind it to a fine powder.
- This quantity gives ¼ cup of Garam Masala, you can double the quantity for more.
- Store it in an airtight jar, it will store well for 3-4 months in room temperature.