A Flavourful Tomato Kurma, mildly spicy, sweet & sour a beautiful combination of flavours to wake your taste palettes. Kurma is a very famous & well known dish prepared in India. It is prepared in many different ways. Kurma is usually prepared with a blend of spices sautéed with onions, ginger, garlic, tomatoes, fresh herbs like coriander leaves & then is ground with coconut to a lovely aromatic paste. It is then sautéed in ghee with mustard & curry leaves, some add veggies like beans, carrot, potato, radish etc. Each family have their own recipes, this is one such recipe. It is a healthy nutritious meal. This Kurma is one of my family favourite dish.
Please do give it a try. They make great leftovers.
Goes great with Hot Rice, Dosa, Idli, Phulka, Puri etc.
- 3 – 4 Medium – Tomatoes
- 4 Tsp – Oil
- ¼ Tsp – Turmeric powder
- 2 – 3 Tsp – Salt or as per taste
- 1 Medium – Onion
- 1 ½ Inch – Cinnamon Stick
- 3-4 – Cloves
- 1 ½ Inch – Ginger
- 5-6 – Garlic Cloves
- 2 – Green Chillies (this quantity gives moderate heat)
- 1 Tsp – Dhania/Coriander powder
- 2 Tsp – Homemade Sambhar/Curry powder (Instead you can add ½ tsp chilli powder)
- ½ Cup – Fresh Coriander Leaves
- ½ Cup – Coconut (grated)
- 1 ½ – 2 Cups – Water
- 1 Tsp – Ghee
- ½ Tsp – Mustard, Jeera/Cumin seeds
- 10-12 – Curry Leaves
- Heat a sauce pan/wok (please keep heat on low).
- Add oil, tomatoes, turmeric, salt & sauté (please keep heat on medium low).
- Cover with lid & let it cook for few minutes.
- After few minutes open lid & once tomatoes are soft & cooked.
- Turn off heat & set it aside to cool.
- Heat a sauce pan & add oil (plz keep heat on low).
- Add cinnamon, cloves, ginger, garlic, green chillies & sauté well.
- Add chopped onion, salt & sauté well.
- Cover with lid & let it cook.
- After a few minutes open lid.
- Once the onions are soft & translucent turn off heat.
- Transfer the ingredients into a mixy/blender jar & let it cool.
- Once it is cool enough add coriander powder, homemade sambhar/curry powder.
- Add the cooked tomatoes we set aside earlier, fresh coriander leaves, grated coconut.
- Grind it to a fine paste.
- Heat sauce pan & add ghee (please keep heat on low).
- Add mustard, jeera/cumin seeds, curry leaves & sauté.
- Gently add the ground masala & sauté.
- Add 1 ½ cup water & mix well.
- Once it starts to bubble turn off heat.
- Ready to serve.