Sweet Urad Dal/Lentil Vada/Fritters, crispy on the outside & soft inside. A healthy sweet snack prepared during special occasions, enjoyed by everyone specially kids. Urad Dal/Black split lentil is soaked & then ground to a fine thick batter with jaggery & then deep fried in oil.
It is a family Favourite. Please do try this recipe. Tastes best when served hot/warm.
- 1 Cup – Urad Dal/Black Split Lentil
- ½ Cup – Jaggery (grated)
- 2 Tsp – Rice Flour
- 2-3 Pinch – Salt
- Oil – Deep fry
- Rinse & soak Urad Dal/Black Split Lentils in water for 2 hours.
- After 2 hours they will plump up.
- Drain the water & let it sit in a colander/filter for 10-15 minutes so the water is drained out completely.
- Transfer the dal into blender/mixy jar (it is important to not add water).
- Beat it.
- Half way through when the dal is coarsely beaten, add salt, jaggery, rice flour & beat it to thick paste/better (jaggery has sufficient moisture to grind dal to thick paste/batter).
- After dal is ground to thick paste, we transfer it to a storing box (this quantity gives 14 vadas/fritters.
- We place it in the refrigerator for atleast 2 hours to let the batter set.
- When placed in refrigerator the batter sets well & is easy to make vadas/fritters (I stored it in the freezer for 2 hours).
- We fry Vadas/Fritters
- Heat a heavy bottom wok with oil to deep fry (please keep heat on low & let oil heat slowly).
- To check temperature of oil drop a coriander leaf, if it sizzles immediately oil is hot (we need oil to be moderately hot).
- Place the batter & a bowl of water near the stove with hot oil.
- Now wet one of your hand drain water & take a lemon size of the thick batter & in the same hand roll it in ball shape.
- Place the ball on your fingers & with your thumb flatten the ball a little & make a hole in the middle (like a donut).
- Now gently tilt your hand above the hot oil & let the batter slide into the hot oil. (Please take caution with hot oil).
- For beginners, take a polythene sheet (slightly bigger than your palm size).
- Apply water on the sheet, wet hand, take batter & make a ball & place it on the sheet.
- With wet hand flatten it a little & make a hole in the middle.
- Now with the other hand gently peel out the donut shaped fritter from the sheet & gently drop it in the hot oil.
- Make as many as the wok can hold & we let it cook (since it contains jaggery they will turn brown fast so please cook on low heat).
- Once the vada/fritter are turning golden/light brown on the sides we flip them one by one & let the other cook as well.
- Once they have turned golden brown on both sides we gently remove them & place them in a bowl.
- Ready to serve.