Delicious Nutritious Mushroom Pulao/Rice, beautiful blend of spices sautéed with garlic, ginger, onions, tomatoes & rice cooked in cooling, aromatic coconut milk. Makes a sumptuous one pot meal.
Tastes great when made few hours ahead. Makes great lunch box meal, are great leftovers too. A delicious recipe, will definitely become a family favourite & a crowd pleaser.
Please do give it a try. Makes great combo with raitha.
- 2 Cups – Rice (I used Basmati Rice, you are welcome to any rice of your choice)
- 1 ½ to 2 Cups (250gms) – Mushrooms (Button Mushrooms)
- 4 Tsp – Oil
- 3 Tsp – Ghee
- 1 Large – Onion
- 1 Medium – Tomato
- Salt as per taste
- 1 ½ Cups – Coconut Milk
- 2 Cups – Water
- 1 Tbsp – Coriander/Dhania Leaves
- 1 Tbsp – Mint/Pudina Leaves
- 1 Tbsp – Fresh Lime/Lemon Juice
- ½ Tsp – Garam Masala (I used Homemade Garam Masala)
- 5-6 – Cloves
- 1 ½ Inch – Cinnamon
- 1 Tsp – Stone Flower/Kalpasi/Patthar Phool
- 2 Small – Bay leaves
Ingredients to grind for Malasa Paste:
- 1 Tbsp (6 to 8) – Cloves of Garlic
- 1 ½ Inch – Ginger
- 3 – Green Chillies (this quantity gives moderate heat)
- ¼ Cup – Coriander/Dhania leaves
- ¼ Cup – Mint/Pudina Leaves
- 1 Tsp – Coriander/Dhania Powder
- ½ Tsp – Dry Red Chilli Powder
- 1 Tsp – Homemade Sambhar/Curry Powder (optional)
- 1 Tbsp – Water (If required you can add 1 more Tbsp water)
- 1 Tsp – Oil
- ¼ Tsp – Turmeric Powder
Add all the ingredients to grind into a mixy/blender jar & grind to a thick paste, transfer into a small cup & set aside.
Rinse & soak rice in water for 10-15 minutes & then drain the water & set Rice in a metal filter/colander.
- Heat heavy bottom pressure cooker add oil & ghee (please keep heat on low).
- Add cloves, cinnamon, stone flower/kalpasi/patthar phool, bay leaves & sauté.
- Now add the ground paste & sauté.
- We sauté until the oil starts to rise.
- Then add onions, salt & sauté well (please turn heat to medium).
- We cover with lid & let it cook for a few minutes.
- After a few minutes we open lid, the onions are soft & translucent.
- Add tomato & sauté well, cover with lid & let it cook.
- After a few minutes open lid & tomatoes are soft & cooked.
- Now add Button Mushrooms & sauté gently.
- Add garam masala & sauté well.
- Add rice & with silicon/wooden spoon gently sauté.
- Add salt & mix well.
- Now add water (2 cups), coconut milk (1 ½ cups) (instead you can add chicken/veg stock) & mix well.
- 2 cups rice 3 ½ cups liquid (since we are cooking pressure cooker, this liquid quantity is sufficient).
- We taste the liquid & add salt if required.
- Add lime/lemon juice mix well, place lid & let it come to boil.
- Once it comes to boil lock lid.
- We let it make one whistle & then turn off heat.
- After 10-15 minutes we bring the pressure down & open the lid.
- Add ghee, coriander/dhania leaves, pudina/mint leaves & gently fluff the rice.
- Ready to Serve.