Wake up to a Healthy Crispy Breakfast Dosa/Rice, Lentil Crepes. Dosa is very famous dish mostly eaten for breakfast or as a snack in South India. A very old traditional dish, loved by everyone who tastes it.
A very healthy dish where rice & lentils are soaked for few hours, then ground to a smooth batter & then left to *ferment for 12-13 hours. Then stored in refrigerator until we need to prepare the dosas/crepes. It is super healthy contains proteins from the lentils & high in probiotics as it is fermented.
Each home have their own family dosa/rice, lentils crepes recipes and I am sharing the recipe my family follows.
Please do give it a try. The preparation of the batter does take time but when prepared & stored in refrigerator it comes to your rescue when you want to make quick healthy dish & lasts for a week in the refrigerator.
It is usually eaten with Coconut Chutney, any kind of Curry, Sambhar, Dal etc.
- 2 Cups – Parboiled Rice (also known/available as Idli Rice)
- 2 Cups – Raw Rice (also known/availabe as Dosa Rice)
- ½ Cup – Urad Dal/Split Black Lentils
- ¼ Cup – Fenugreek Seeds/Methi Seeds
- 2 Tbsp – Chana Dal/Split Chickpeas
- ½ Cup – Flattened Rice/Poha
- Salt as required
- Water as required
Step 1: Prep Work:
- Rinse & soak parboiled rice (Idli Rice) & Raw Rice (Dosa Rice) for atleast 6-7 hours.
- Rinse & soak Urad Dal/Split Black Lentils, Fenugreek Seeds/Methi Seeds & Chana Dal/Split Chickpeas together for atleast 6-7 hours.
- Flattened Rice/Poha needs to be soaked for 10-15 minutes before you start to make the batter.
Step 2: Prepare the Batter:
- Drain the water from the soaked lentils & transfer it into a blender/mixy jar, add water (I used the water soaked in lentils), the lentils/dal & water level need to be the same.
- Grind to smooth paste (as you grind if you can add upto ¼ cup more water if required).
- Transfer the batter into a wide bowl & set it aside.
- Now we grind the rice, drain the water & transfer rice into blender/mixy jar.
- Add water, water & rice level need to be the same (we need to make sure the rice quantity fills only half the jar for a smooth batter, we can grind/blend rice in two batches).
- Once the rice is ground to a smooth batter we pour the rice batter into the lentil/dal batter we made earlier & whisk, mix both batter really well.
- We need to mix, whisk the batter really well so that air is incorporated into the batter which helps the batter to ferment well.
- Once the batter is ready we pour it into a container/box & set it in a warm place in your kitchen (if the weather is cold in your city, we can place it in your oven too).
- We let it sit for 12-15 hours to ferment.
- After 12-15 hours we open the container/box & the batter will have risen almost double the quantity.
- Now we place in refrigerator until we require to make dosas/rice, lentil crepes.
Step 3: Make the Dosa/Rice, Lentil Crepes:
- We take the batter from the refrigerator & with a spoon/ladle take required quantity of batter into a bowl & place the batter box back into the refrigerator.
- Add salt (3-4 cups batter you can add ½ tsp salt).
- Add 1-2 Tbsp water (batter consistency needs to be thick, so that dosa/rice lentil crepes can be made thin & will turn crispy).
- Mix well & batter is ready to make dosa/rice crepes.
- Heat a griddle/tava, spread 1-2 tsp oil (please do not spread too much oil as it makes the batter spread evenly difficult).
- Take a ladle of batter & pour on the griddle/tava (griddle/tava needs to be hot).
- Immediately with the back of the ladle spread the batter around the griddle/tava to form a round circle.
- As we spread the batter, the center part needs to be slightly thick & as we go towards the edge we need to make it thin.
- Now we drizzle oil/ghee around the dosa/crepe.
- We cover with lid to let it cook.
- After a minute we open lid & let it roast until the edges turn golden brown.
- Once the edges turn golden brown we fold the dosa/crepe & remove from the griddle.
- Ready to serve.
*Ferment: The batter has to go through fermentation for this dish/recipe. The batter ferments well in warm weather conditions. If you are preparing this batter in summer you can just leave it on your kitchen counter & it will rise/ferment well. If you are preparing it during winter or even on a slightly chilly weather conditions then place the batter box in a warm place in your kitchen. They may take 2-3 hours (15-16 hours) more than normal to ferment during cold/chilly weather conditions.
Note: Sometimes the batter due to cold weather conditions may not rise/ferment well. Please let it ferment for 15-17 hours & then place them into the refrigerator. When you take the batter to prepare Dosa/Rice, Lentil Crepes while adding salt also add ¼ Tsp (for every 3 cups batter) of cooking/baking soda & they will good as well.