An Easy, Quick & Simple side dish to prepare for Dosa (rice crepes), Idli (steamed rice cakes), Rice Roti etc. Peanut / Groundnut Chutney (spicey), a favourite dish in my family. It is prepared in many homes in India. I am sharing with you a recipe that my grandmom used to prepare. It is so easy to prepare & so yummy you will enjoy every bite.
Peanuts are dry roasted & then ground with dry red chillies, salt, tamarind for tanginess & coconut for depth, body & flavour. Once they are ground to a slightly coarse paste they are then seasoned with oil, mustard, cumin seeds, curry leaves to make it more flavourful & then served.
Please do give it a try, you will enjoy every bite & it is very addictive. You can prepare it ahead & store it in the refrigerator, they last 3-4 days.
- 1 Cup – Peanuts / Groundnuts (no need to remove the outer layer (skin) of the peanuts as it has health benefits & it will be ground so you will not know the difference)
- 3 – Dry Red Chillies / Guntur Chillies (this quantity gives less heat, for more heat add 1-2 more)
- Salt as required
- ½ Cup – Grated Coconut
- 1 ½ inch – Tamarind (soaked in water for 10 minutes, instead you can use 2 tsp pulp too)
- Water as required (to grind/blend & to think the chutney)
Ingredients to Season the Chutney:
- 2 Tsp – Oil
- ½ tsp – Mustard seeds, Jeera/Cumin seeds
- 5-7 – Curry Leaves
- Heat a wok/kadai/pan (please heat on low/medium low).
- Add peanuts & dry fry until they get roasted well.
- Add dry red chillies & fry until it gets hot & then turn off heat.
- Transfer it into a mixy/blender jar & let it cool.
- Once it has cooled down add salt, tamarind, grated coconut.
- Add ½ cup water & grind.
- Half way through open jar & add ¼ – ½ cup water, cover & grind.
- We grind to a slightly coarse texture as it tastes good & gives good body to the chutney.
- Now we season the chutney, heat a small pan.
- Add oil, once the oil heats add mustard seeds, jeera/cumin seeds.
- Once the mustard splutters add curry leaves sauté for 3-4 seconds.
- Remove from heat & add it to the chutney & mix well.
- Ready to Serve.