Nutritious Warming Brinjal/Eggplant Dal Curry is a simple easy dish to prepare on busy weekdays. It is a very healthy dish. In South India Brinjal & Dal are a very Famous/Favourite veg dal combination that many people love. Brinjal/Eggplant is sautéed with onion, tomatoes, spices & cooked dal is added, curry is brought to boil. Ghee & fresh Coriander leaves are added just before serving. The texture of cooked brinjal/eggplant & dal is really good, you have to try it.
This recipe is a family favourite, please do try it. We usually prepare this for Rotis, Phulkas, Dosa & Pongal. It goes great with hot rice too.
- 1 Cup – Toor Dal/Split Pigeon Peas
- ½ Tsp – Castor oil (optional)
- ¼ Tsp – Turmeric Powder
- 1 ½ Cups – Water (to cook dal in pressure cooker)
- 3 Tsp – Oil
- ½ Tsp – Mustard seeds, Jeera/Cumin
- 2-3 Pinch – Asafoetida/Hing
- 5-6 – Curry Leaves
- 1 – Medium Onion
- 2 – Medium Tomatoes
- Salt as per taste
- 2 Tsp – Homemade Sambhar or Curry Powder (instead you can add ½ Tsp Chilli pwdr, ½ Tsp Coriander pwdr, ¼ Tsp cumin pwdr & 3-4 Pinch Somph/Fennel seeds pwdr)
- Brinjal/Eggplant – 3 Large Brinjal cut to 1 ½ inch cubes (If you are using Eggplant you can add 1 ½-2 cups cut pieces)
- 1 Tbsp – Fresh Coriander/Dhania Leaves chopped
- 1 Tsp – Ghee
- Rinse & soak Dal in water for atleast ½ hour.
- After ½-1 hour transfer dal into pressure cooker & add 1 ½ cup water (I used soaked dal water).
- For this recipe the water level needs to be just right not too much water or too little.
- Add castor oil, turmeric powder & place lid & bring it boil.
- Once the dal start to boil nicely lock pressure cooker lid & let it make 2 whistles & then turn off heat.
- Once the pressure has reduced completely open lid.
- With a whisk beat the cooked dal nicely & it needs to be mashed partially.
- Transfer it into a bowl.
- Add ½ cup water into the pressure cooker mix gently & pour the dal water into the bowl with the remaining dal.
- Set it aside.
We prepare Dal Curry:
- Heat a heavy bottom wok/kadai/pan (please keep heat on low).
- Add oil & once oil is moderately hot add mustard, cumin seeds & asafoetida.
- Once the mustard crackles add curry leaves & sauté.
- Add chopped onions & sauté.
- Add salt, sauté & cover with lid to let it cook.
- After few minutes open lid, onion needs to be soft & translucent.
- Then add tomatoes & sauté.
- Cover with lid & let it cook for few minutes.
- After few minutes open lid tomatoes need to soft.
- Gently sauté & mash with back of the spoon/spatula.
- Add homemade sambhar powder/curry powder & sauté well (this spice quantity gives moderate heat, add ½-1 tsp chilli pwdr for more heat if you wish)
- Sauté well, mash well with back of spoon so we get good gravy.
- Add chopped brinjal/eggplant & sauté.
- Add salt, ¼ cup water mix well, cover with lid & let it cook (please keep heat on medium low).
- We let it cook for 7-10 minutes.
- After about 8 minutes check & brinjal is cooked.
- Now we add dal & mix well (if you want the dal curry more thin add ½ cup water).
- Cover with lid & bring to boil.
- After few minutes open & check, once it bubbles add coriander/dhania leaves.
- Mix well & turn off heat.
- Add ghee mix well.
- Ready to serve.