Healthy Delicious one pot Green Dal & is easy to prepare too. Dal is cooked & then as it simmers onions, tomatoes, spinach (any other mild flavoured greens) is added & is cooked. Then it is turned off & fresh green chillies are added for sharp fresh chilli flavour & it is blended gently. It is then seasoned with oil, ghee, mustard, cumin seeds, curry leaves & then added to the greens dal to give additional layers of flavours to the dal.
This dish is a weekly routine dish at my home as it is super healthy. You can add it to your weekly meal recipe too.
Please do give it a try. It goes great with finger millet/ragi ball, idli, dosa, phulka, hot rice with ghee.
- 1 Cup – Toor Dal/Split Pigeon Peas
- 2 Handful – Spinach (you can use any mild flavoured greens you usually cook with)
- 1 – Medium Onion
- 2 – Medium Tomatoes
- 5-6 – Green chillies (or as per your taste)
- ¼ Tsp – Turmeric Powder
- ½ Tsp – Castor Oil (it is used as it helps dal cook well/fast & for health benefits)
- Salt as per taste
- 2 ½ Cups – Water (to cook dal)
- ¼ cup – Water to thin the dal consistency
To Season Dal:
- 1 Tsp – Oil
- 1 Tsp – Ghee
- ¼ Tsp – Mustard Seeds
- ¼ Tsp – Cumin/Jeera
- 2 Pinch – Asafoetida
- Curry Leaves
- Rinse & soak dal in water for 15-20 minutes.
- Soak & rinse spinach leaves well & set it aside.
- Transfer dal & 2 ½ cups of water into pressure cooker (I used dal soaked water).
- Add turmeric powder, castor oil & place lid & let it come to boil.
- Once it starts to boil lock lid & let it make 3 whistles, turn off heat.
- Once the pressure has reduced completely open lid.
- Mix it & slightly mash it with the back of spoon/ladle (please keep heat to medium low).
- Add ¼ cup water to thin the dal, mix well.
- Add onion & let it cook for few minutes.
- Once onion looks soft add tomatoes & let it cook for few minutes.
- After few minutes add spinach leaves & let it cook for few minutes (check consistency & add water if required now as if we add water after greens is cooked we may lose greens flavour).
- We place lid & partially cover to let it all cook (Please do not cook for long as the greens may lose its colour).
- After few minutes open lid, mix well.
- We check if the spinach is cook, if it soft & tears easily & then turn off heat.
- Add green chillies, salt (we add green chillies now to get sharp heat & fresh green chilli flavour).
- Mix & we blend it (I use hand blender, you can use blender/mixy too).
- If you are using blender/mixy & use Pulse/whip option (please fill half quantity & blend in batches as it is liquid & may spill over).
- Traditionally it is mashed with an earthen pot & a wooden masher, if you follow this method you can do so.
- Once it is blended well, place on heat & keep heat on low.
- In the mean time we season by heating a small pan.
- We add oil, ghee, mustard seeds, cumin & asafoetida.
- Once mustard crackles add curry leaves, turn off heat & add it to the dal & mix well.
- Once the dal starts to boil turn off heat.
- Ready to Serve.