A Delicious simple & easy to prepare coriander coconut chutney, this chutney is so versatile that is goes great as a dip for many dishes & snacks like Idli, Dosa, Phulka, Bonda, Bajji, Pakoda, any Veg Savoury fritters & with the savoury seasoned rice cakes/Paddu/Kara Paniyaram etc.
It is freshly ground with grated fresh coconut (for body, freshness & sweetness), roasted gram dal (for body & thickening agent), green chillies for heat, tamarind for tang/sourness & fresh coriander sprigs are all ground to paste. After which we season with mustard seeds, cumin, curry leaves sautéed in a teaspoon of hot oil & is added to the chutney, mixed well & served.
This chutney gives beautiful freshness, mildly sweet, savoury & tangy flavour altogether which is a real treat to our taste buds. You can make it ahead & store it in the refrigerator, it stays fresh for 3-4 days.
Please do give it a try.
- ½ Cup – Freshly grated Coconut
- ½ Cup – Roasted Gram Dal/Huri Kadle/Pottu Kadale
- 2 – Green Chillies (gives less heat, you can add 1 or 2 more for more heat)
- 1 ½ inch – Tamarind (soaked in water for 10 minutes, then removed & added)
- Salt as per taste
- 1 Cup or a Handful of Fresh Coriander leaves/sprigs
- ½ Cup – Water (grind)
- ½ Cup – Water to thin the chutney (you can add water to your requirement)
- 1 Tsp – Oil
- ½ Tsp – Mustard Seeds
- ¼ Tsp – Cumin/Jeera
- 1-2 Pinch – Asafoetida/Hing
- 5-6 – Curry Leaves
- In a mixy/blender jar add coconut, roasted gram dal, green chillies, tamarind, salt, Fresh coriander springs/leaves.
- Add ¼ -1/2 cup water & grind to paste (you can add ¼ cup water grind & check half way through & add more water).
- Once is has ground to paste transfer to serving bowl (mix ½ cup water into the mixy/blender jar & pour into the bowl of chutney).
- We set the bowl aside (The chutney needs to be like a thick sauce consistency).
- We temper by heating a small pan & add oil.
- Once oil is hot add mustard seeds, cumin & asafoetida.
- As mustards starts to crackle add curry leaves, sauté & then turn off heat.
- Add it to the chutney mix well.
- Ready to Serve.