A treat for all cake lovers, especially for folks who like homestyle rustic cakes. I am sharing with you a simple easy & light cake recipe which you can eat to your hearts content & share with family, friends guilt free. It is a family favourite at my place.
This recipe is a very basic vanilla cake with white chocolate ganache frosting. I usually make it simple so the family, friends can really enjoy it & go for more happily. It is quite healthy & loved by kids.
You can make this cake rich or simple to your liking, you can also build on it with different ideas like serve it with fruit compote, with ice cream, serve it with chocolate sauce, make chocolate ganache, chocolate butter cream for the icing etc.
Please do try it & enjoy with family, friends…
- ¼ Cup & 2 Tbsp – Butter (butter needs to be in room temperature)
- 1 Cup – Powdered/Confectioners Sugar (if you are using granulated sugar you can take ½ cup & grind it to powder, it makes 1 cup powdered sugar)
- 2 – Eggs
- 1 Tsp – Vanilla Essence
- Little less than ½ Cup – Cream (fresh/heavy) or 1/3 Cup is also fine.
- 1 Cup – Plain Flour / Maida
- 2 Tbsp – Corn starch/Corn flour (in some countries corn starch is also known as corn flour, it is used for baking & as a thickening agent)
- 1 Tsp – Baking soda/cooking soda
- ¼ Tsp – Salt
White Chocolate Ganache:
- 3 Tbsp – Cream (fresh/heavy)
- ¼ Cup – White Chocolate (chopped)
Step 1 – Wet Ingredients:
- Into a mixing bowl add butter & powdered/confectioners sugar & beat with hand blender (or mixer).
- We beat until butter & sugar turn to soft creamy texture.
- Then add eggs one at a time & mix well (no need to beat we just need to mix).
- Add vanilla essence, cream mix & set aside.
Step 2 – Dry Ingredients:
- Into a bowl add plain flour/maida, corn starch, baking soda, salt & mix (please pre- heat your oven).
- Now we add dry ingredients into the wet ingredients little by little.
- We just need to mix all the ingredients (I used hand blender instead you can use a whisk to mix too).
- We take baking pan butter & dust flour in it.
- We pour cake batter into the baking pan.
- We spread it evenly in the baking pan.
- We bake it at 160 Degree C or 325 Degree F for 20 minutes (please note – each oven have slightly different baking time, so while baking please check the cake 8-10 minutes ahead of the mentioned baking time).
- After 20 minutes we take out the cake & check.
- With a wooden skewer/knife we pierce & when it comes out clean the cake is cooked.
- We let it cool.
- Gently run butter knife around the sides of baking pan, so that the cake comes off easily.
- Then gently flip baking pan, remove the cake carefully & place it on a serving plate.
- We set it aside.
Step 3: White Chocolate Ganache:
- In a heavy bottom sauce pan add cream & then turn on heat (please keep heat on low).
- As it starts to bubble on the sides turn off heat & add the white chocolate (chopped).
- Mix well & cover with lid for 1-2 minutes.
- Later open lid & mix well.
- After it cools slightly we gently pour it onto the cake (cake has to be cooled completely).
- Spread evenly over the cake (the icing does not harden much after it cools completely).
- Ready to serve.
- We can cut the cake into pieces & store it in an air-tight box in room temperature for 1-2 days after that we can refrigerate it.
- Enjoy this light soft cake with family & friends.