Here’s a simple, easy & delicious pepper chicken gravy, is a great recipe/dish for weekday meals or a busy weekend recipe.
We get to taste the soft juicy chicken with beautiful creamy peppery gravy, you can reduce heat to your liking. We add curry leaves as its peppery flavour enhances the pepper flavour & gives great flavour to the gravy.
Pepper corns, ginger, garlic, green chillies are sautéed in little oil, then onions are added & sautéed until soft. Then we add almonds & cashews (to thicken the gravy & for flavour) we grind it with curry leaves, fresh coriander leaves to thick paste. Then the paste is sautéed in little oil, coriander powder & the chicken is added & as it cooks we add very little garam masala powder. Chicken is cooked in the lovely gravy until done. Once the chicken is done, we add coarsely ground pepper powder mix & ready to serve.
The gravy goes great with hot rice, phulkhas, rotis..
Please do give it a try.
- 750 gms – Chicken (I used chicken thighs)
- 4 Tsp – Oil
- 1 Tsp – Ghee
- 1 Tsp – Pepper Corns
- 1 Heap Tbsp – Garlic Cloves (12 to 15 garlic cloves)
- 1 Heap Tbsp – Ginger (chopped to the same size as garlic cloves)
- 2 – Green Chillies (this gives moderate heat)
- 3 Medium – Onions
- Salt as per taste
- A handful or ¼ cup – Fresh Curry Leaves (curry leaves have a peppery flavour & they enhance the peppery flavour in this gravy)
- A handful or ¼ cup – Fresh Coriander Leaves
- ½ Cup – Water
- 1 Heap Tsp – Coriander Powder
- ¼ Tsp – Turmeric Powder
- Heat a wok/kadai & add 2 tsp oil (please keep heat on low).
- Add pepper corns, garlic, ginger, green chillies & sauté.
- Then add onions, salt & cover with lid & let it cook until onions turn soft & translucent (please turn heat to medium low).
- As the onions are cooking we add almonds & cashews & sauté it with onions.
- Once onions are done we turn off heat & transfer it to mixy/blender jar.
- We add fresh curry leaves & coriander leaves.
- We add ½ cup water to help it grind to paste well.
- We heat the same wok/kadai add 2 tsp oil, 1 tsp ghee (please keep heat on low).
- We gently pour the ground paste & stir.
- We add coriander powder, turmeric powder & mix well.
- As it starts to bubble we add the chicken pieces & mix well (please turn heat to medium low).
- We cover with lid & let chicken cook.
- Half way through we open lid & add garam masala, mix the chicken & gravy well.
- We again cover with lid & cook until chicken is done.
- After few minutes we open lid stir & check if chicken is cooked.
- Once chicken is done we turn off heat.
- Now we add ½ tbsp coarsely ground pepper powder, mix well.
- Ready to serve.