A Beautiful Combination of Soft Earthy Sweet bites from the Beets, Nutty flavour & texture from peanuts in a savoury mixture of sautéed onions, dry red chillies, curry leaves & garlic in little oil. Beetroots are steamed until soft & then sautéed with onions, garlic, dry red chillies, curry leaves & then finally we finish of with toasted ground peanuts.
We usually eat it with Phulkas, Hot Rice, plain tempered Dal/Dal tadka, Curd/plain Yogurt rice, Rasam Rice etc. A veg dish that is a favourite in my Family.
Not only does it taste great but is also complete power packed dish with vitamins & minerals, so good for you. You can include this dish into your routine recipes that you prepare for your family. You can prepare it once a fortnight & your body will thank you…
Please do give it a try.
- 2 Large – Beetroots
- 3 Tsp – Oil
- ½ Tsp – Mustard & Cumin/Jeera seeds
- 4-5 – Garlic Cloves (slightly crushed, choose small size garlic so they cook fast with onion).
- 3 – Dry Red Chillies (this quantity gives less heat)
- 7-8 – Curry Leaves
- ¼ Tsp – Turmeric Powder
- 1 Medium – Onion
- ½ Cup – Peanuts/Groundnuts
- 1 Tsp – Table salt or as per your taste
- We rinse beetroots well, cut the top stalks & then cut each beetroot into four pieces.
- We pre heat steamer & place the cut beetroots skin side up & steam for 20-25 minutes.
- Then we open lid & with a knife we cut into one beetroot, if it cuts through easily the beetroots are cooked.
- We remove from steamer & set it aside to cool.
- Once the beets are warm with a knife we remove skin & cut beets into small pieces & set it aside.
- You can cook the beetroots in pressure cooker too: cut the beetroots into two, add water half level to the beetroots & cook for 2-3 whistles.
2.Dry Fry Peanuts:
- Heat a wok/kadai (please keep heat on medium low).
- Add peanuts & dry fry.
- Once the peanuts turn brown we turn off heat.
- We transfer it into a mixy/blender jar & let it cool.
- Once they r cool enough we use pulse/whip option – 2 to 3 times & beat peanuts into slightly coarse powder.
- We set it aside.
We Prepare the Stir Fry / Poriyal / Palya:
- Heat Kadai/wok, add oil (please keep heat on low).
- Add mustard & cumin/jeera seeds & let it crackle.
- Once mustard starts to crackle we tear dry red chillies & drop.
- Then add curry leaves & sauté.
- Add crushed small garlic cloves & sauté (we add small garlic cloves so they cook well along with onions).
- Now we add onion & sauté (please turn heat to medium low).
- We add table salt, mix well & cover with lid & let onion, garlic cook.
- After few minutes we open lid & onion has turn soft & translucent.
- Add turmeric powder & sauté.
- Now we add cooked chopped beetroot we set aside earlier.
- We sauté well until beetroots have incorporated well.
- Then we cover lid & let it simmer for 1-2 minutes (please turn heat to low).
- After few minutes we open lid & mix (we need to ensure there is less liquid in the stir fry).
- Now we add peanut powder we prepared & set aside earlier.
- Once we add the peanut powder we turn off heat & mix well (it is important we turn off heat as we add peanut powder, as too much heat may make stir fry dry & lumpy).
- We mix well until peanut powder is mixed well (u can turn off heat & add peanut powder & mix well too).
- Ready to Serve.