A beautiful combination of Dal & Veggies cooked in a delicious Coconut Curry & to make it more fun we add fried papad into the curry which takes to a completely different level in flavour. A simple curry to prepare but a real treat for your taste buds with its textures & flavours.
A must try veg curry made with simple ingredients. Garlic, Ginger, Green chillies are coarsely crushed & sautéed in oil along with Onions, Curry leaves, Tomatoes & for a Beautiful Smokey flavour Coriander powder is added. Then we add Veggies (cauliflower, potatoes) & let it all blend until veggies are cooked. After which we add cooked Chana Dal/Split Chickpeas & we let it simmer. Then we finish by adding Coconut paste or Coconut cream. Now we add fried papad & let it all soak, blend to a delicious curry.
Please do try this dish. This curry goes great with Hot Rice, Phulkas, Dosa etc.
- ½ Cup – Chana Dal/Split Chickpeas
- ½ Tsp – Castor Oil (We add it as it helps dal cook well & for health benefits)
- ½ Tsp – Turmeric Powder
- 1 Tbsp – Garlic cloves
- 1 Tbsp – Ginger
- 1 – Green Chilli (this gives less heat, 1-2 more for heat)
- ¼ Cup – Fresh grated Coconut (instead you can add ½ cup thick Coconut Cream)
- 4 Tsp – Oil
- ½ Tsp – Mustard, Cumin/Jeera seeds
- ¼ Tsp – Asafoetida
- 8-10 – Curry Leaves
- 1 – Medium Onion
- 1 – Medium Tomato
- 1 heap Tsp – Coriander/Dhania powder
- 1 ½ Tsp – Salt
- 1 Large – Potato (1 cup)
- 1 ½ Cups – Cauliflower Florets
- Water as required
- 2-3 Papad (we cut each into 3 strips)
1.Prep work: Rinse & soak Chana Dal-
- We rinse & soak chana dal/split chickpeas for atleast 2-3 hours or you can soak it in hot water for atleast 1 hour.
2.Prep work: Crush Garlic, Ginger, Green Chilli-
- We add garlic, ginger, green chilli into a mortar & pestle, we coarsely crush it & set it aside.
3.Prep work: Grind Coconut paste-
- We add ¼ cup freshly grated coconut into a mixy/blender jar.
- Add ¼ cup warm water & grind.
- Half way through we add few tbsp water & grind to smooth paste.
- We set it aside.
4.Prep work: Cook Chana Dal-
- Once Chana dal/split chickpeas has plumped well.
- We add soaked Chana dal with water into pressure cooker.
- Add 2 cups more water.
- We add castor oil, ¼ Tsp turmeric powder
- We lock lid, let it make 4-5 whistles & turn off heat.
- Once the pressure has come down we open lid.
- We slightly mash the dal with the back of spoon.
- We set it aside.
We prepare the Curry:
- Heat a wide pan/wok (please keep heat on low).
- Add oil, as oil heats add mustard, cumin seeds & asafoetida.
- As mustard crackles add curry leaves & sauté.
- Now we add the garlic, ginger & green chilli we crushed earlier & sauté.
- Add salt & then add onion, sauté (please turn heat to medium low).
- We let onion cook until soft & translucent.
- Once onion is soft & translucent we add tomato & sauté.
- We cook tomato until soft.
- Then add coriander powder & sauté.
- We add potato, cauliflower florets & sauté (we cut veggies same size so they cook even).
- We add ½ cup water, cover with lid & let veggies cook.
- After few minutes we open lid & check if veggies are cooked.
- Once veggies are cooked we add the cooked dal we prepared earlier.
- We add 1 cup of water into pressure cooker mix & pour the water into the curry.
- Mix well & let it come to boil.
- Add ¼ tsp turmeric powder mix well.
- Once the mixture comes to boil we add the coconut paste we prepared earlier or you can add thick coconut cream too.
- Mix well & we check consistency, add water if required (for this curry slightly thick consistency is good).
- As it starts to boil turn off heat.
- We cut papad into 3 pieces each & fry the cut papad pieces in oil (if we cut papad into small pieces they may disintegrated in the curry).
- Now we gently tuck the papad pieces one at a time into the curry
- Added 6-8 pieces of papad or you can skip this step too.
- Then with a spoon we scoop curry & pour it onto the papad pieces to let it soak well (this curry thickens as it cools so ensure you get right consistency before adding the papad).
- We cover with lid & let papad soak in the curry well.
- After few minutes it is ready to serve.