Here’s a delicious prawns/shrimp curry, succulent prawns cooked in a beautiful tomato sauce. A family recipe from my kitchen to yours, it’s a real hit in my home. A flavoursome combination of garlic, ginger, onion & ripe tomatoes, seasoned with complimenting spices & cooked with prawns/shrimp to give an aromatic delectable curry.
A nice recipe to prepare if you are entertaining, a crowd pleaser, simple to prepare & delicious in flavour.
They taste amazing when prepared ahead, as the cooked prawns soaks up all the flavours from the beautifully seasoned curry & flavours & juices of the prawns/shrimp blend into the curry to make an aromatic delicious curry.
Please do give it a try. They go great with hot rice, roti, phulkas, bread etc.
- Prawns/Shrimp – ½ Kg (deshelled, head & tail removed)
- 3 Tsp – Oil
- 1 Tsp – Ghee
- 1 Tbsp – Garlic (grated)
- 1 Tbsp – Ginger (grated)
- 1 Medium – Onion
- 3 Medium – Tomatoes (choose ripe tomatoes)
- ¼ Tsp – Turmeric Powder
- 2 Tsp – Homemade Sambhar/Curry Powder (for the recipe please check my previous post on – Homemade Aromatic Sambhar/Curry Powder)
- 1 ½ Tsp – Salt
- ½ Tsp – Garam Masala (Homemade)
- 1 Heap Tbsp – Fresh Coriander Leaves
- Usually fresh prawns/shrimp are sold whole, we buy prawn/shrimp whole & they are weighed & then cleaned as per request (you can use frozen prawns/shrimp as well).
- I bought 1 kg whole fresh prawns/shrimp & then I requested them to deshell, remove head & tail.
- Finally I got ½ Kg prawns/shrimp.
- If we can see black veins running on the prawns & underneath, we need to remove it, as when cooked as is, we get a gritty texture when we bite the cooked prawns/shrimp (the fishmongers sometimes devein prawns on request).
- We take one prawn & we check for the back vein, with a knife we slit the top length of the prawn, slit very slightly but well so the vein comes off easily.
- We take a tooth pick & gently roll the vein around the tooth pick & remove the vein.
- We check the bottom part of the prawn & if there is a black vein we slit along nicely & gently remove vein, we can remove vein with our fingers too (as per your wish).
- We devein all prawns & rinse well.
- We drain water out & set aside.
2.Prepare Prawns/Shrimp Curry:
- Heat a heavy bottom pan/wok.
- Add oil, ghee (please turn heat to low).
- As oil heats add garlic, ginger, salt & sauté.
- Cook it for a minute, then add onion & sauté.
- Cover with lid & cook onion (please turn heat to medium).
- After a few minutes, open lid & onion is soft & translucent.
- Add tomatoes & sauté.
- Cover with lid and cook tomatoes until soft.
- After a few minutes once the tomatoes are soft mix and mash with back of spoon for more gravy.
- Add salt as per taste.
- Add turmeric powder & homemade sambhar/curry powder & sauté well.
- Mash with back of spoon.
- Now we add the prawns / shrimp & mix gently (please turn heat to medium-low).
- Cover with lid & let prawns cook (no need to add water, as prawns cook they give liquid).
- We cook prawns for 7 to 8 minutes (Prawns cook fast, please check ahead, if prawns cook for long they will turn tough & dry).
- For me it took 7 to 8 minutes to cook the prawns just right (so please check accordingly).
- We take one prawn & cut it with a butter knife, it cuts through easily & prawns/shrimp are cooked.
- Add garam masala powder & mix gently.
- Turn off heat.
- Add fresh coriander leaves & mix gently.
- Ready to serve.