Easy & Tasty Dessert, also a Fun dish to prepare & eat. A kids favourite sweet & enjoyed by everyone too.
Tapioca Pearls/Balls or Sabudana/Sabakki is an ingredients made from Tapioca, a root vegetable.
When Tapioca Pearls/Balls or Sabudana/Sabakki is cooked it releases its starch & gives a lovely gelatin like consistency which makes great pudding texture. Its jelly like texture is loved by kids specially because it tastes like eating bubbles which makes it fun to eat. It is widely used in India to prepare sweet & savoury dishes.
Vermicelli/Seviyan is also an ingredient widely used in India for sweet & savoury dishes. It is very similar to pasta, it is added to bring mixed textures & to give a beautiful, interesting combination dessert to taste.
This is one such dish that is prepared during special occasions.
Please do give it a try. It tastes great when served warm or chilled.
- ½ Cup – Tapioca Pearls/Balls, Sabudana/Sabakki/Javarasi
- ½ Cup – Roasted Vermicelli/Seviyan/Semiya
- 2 Cups – Water (add more to your requirement)
- 3 Cups – Milk (I used Milk with 3% Fat)
- ½ Tsp – Cardamom/Elaichi Powder (instead you can use 1 Tsp Vanilla Essence)
- ½ Cup – Sugar (Instead, If you wish to make it rich you can add sweetened condensed milk)
- 1 Tbsp – Ghee
- 1 Tbsp – Cashew/Kaju (cut in halves)
- 1 Tbsp – Almonds/Badam (Sliced thinly)
- 1 Tbsp – Raisins/Kishmish
- Heat Heavy bottom wok/kadai or pan.
- Add the Tapioca Pearls/Balls, Sabudana/Sabakki (please keep heat on low).
- Dry Fry for few minutes.
- Fry until the Tapioca Pearls/Balls, Sabudana/Sabakki turns hot.
- Then add 2 cups of water & stir (Please keep heat on medium low).
- We cover with lid & let it cook.
- The cooking time vary.
- For this recipe 15-18 minutes to cook is sufficient as it till continue to cook until through until the dish is done & cools completely.
- Half way through we open the lid stir & add water if you feel it is required (you can add ½ cup water if required).
- We cover lid again & let it cook.
- After 18 minutes we open lid stir.
- Add milk & mix well.
- We cover with lid & let come to boil (please keep heat on medium).
- After a few minutes once it comes to boil open lid.
- Add roasted Vermicelli/Seviyan/Semiya & mix well. (Vermicelli/Seviyan/Semiya takes 4-5 minutes to cook).
- We let it come to a boil & stir it.
- Add Cardamom/Elaichi powder & mix well.
- We cover with lid & let it cook for few minutes.
- Once it comes to a rolling boil we open lid & stir.
- We check vermicelli has turned soft & is floating so it is cooked.
- Now add sugar & mix well (we add sugar towards the end, after all the ingredients are cooked).
- This sugar quantity gives moderate sweetness, you can add as per your requirement too.
- Once the sugar has dissolved we turn off heat.
- Heat a small pan (please keep heat on low).
- Add ghee & as it heats add Cashews/Kaju, Almonds/Badam, Raisins/Kishmish.
- Sautè until they turn light golden brown.
- Now add this to the milk pudding/kheer/payasa & mix well.
- This sweet will thicken as it cools add ½ cup milk heat it & serve.
- Keep it covered for a few minutes.
- Ready to Serve.