A beautiful creamy sauce with mild spices & flavourful juicy chicken, a really good soul food.
Lip-Smacking Delicious Butter Chicken, a very famous dish in India. Loved by everyone specially kids. I am sharing with you home-style simple butter chicken recipe, it is a favourite rich dish we enjoy once in a while in my family.
Chicken is marinated in spices, lime juice & salt, it is then shallow fried/oven roasted & then set aside. Aromatic Spices, garlic, ginger, onions, tomatoes, cashews (for creamy texture), is sautéed in butter & then ground to paste. Then the ground paste is again sautéed in butter, then chicken is added & cooked. Finally once done we add fresh cream & it is ready to serve.
Please do give it a try. It goes great with Nan, Roti, Phulka, Puri etc.
For the Marinate:
- 750gms – Chicken (I used chicken thighs)
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 Tsp – Homemade Sambhar/Curry Powder (Instead you can add ½ Tsp-Dry Red Chilli powder, ½ Tsp-Coriander/Dhania Seeds powder, ¼ Tsp-Cumin/Jeera powder, ¼ Tsp-Pepper powder, ¼ Tsp – Saunf/Fennel seeds powder)
- 1 Tsp – Salt
- Few Tbsp oil – Shallow fry the Chicken or you can oven roast it too.
For the Curry:
- 2 Tsp – Butter
- 5 Tsp – Oil
- 2 – Cardamom Pods/Elaichi
- 2 Inch – Cinnamon Stick/Dalchini
- 1 – Small Bay Leaf/Teg Patta
- 2 Tbsp – Garlic
- 2 Tbsp – Ginger
- 2 – Medium Onions
- 4 – Medium Tomatoes
- 1 ½ Tsp – Salt (as per taste)
- ¼ Tsp – Turmeric Powder
- 1 Tsp – Homemade Sambhar/Curry Powder
- ½ Tsp – Sugar (sugar is added to cut the sharp sourness from tomatoes)
- 6 – Cashews (cashews are added for creamy texture)
- 1 – Green Chilli (optional you can skip if you wish)
- ¼ Cup & 3-4 Tbsp – Fresh Cream
- 1 Cup – Water (to thin the curry)
Marinate & Shallow Fry/Roast Chicken:
- Place chicken in a wide bowl add lime juice, homemade sambhar/curry powder, salt mix well & place in refrigerator for atleast ½ hour.
- Heat a heavy bottom pan, add few tbsp oil & shallow fry chicken.
- I cooked the chicken on each side for 7-8 minutes & placed it on a plate & set it aside (chicken we cooked was almost done, you can half cook it & let it cook more in the gravy too).
- After I cooked the chicken in a fry pan, I deglazed with fresh cream & whisked to scrap out all the delicious flavour left after frying (please keep heat on low).
- Add few Tbsp water & whisk until all the leftover flavours have mixed well.
- We transfer this delicious gravy into a cup & set it aside (this method is optional you can skip it if you wish).
Butter Chicken Gravy:
- Heat a wok/Kadai/sauce pan add butter, oil, cardamom, cinnamon, bay leaves & sauté (please keep heat on low).
- Then add garlic, ginger & sauté.
- Add chopped onions, add salt & sauté (please turn heat to medium).
- Once the onions turn soft & translucent add chopped tomatoes & sauté.
- We cook tomatoes until they are soft (more tomatoes are added as they give creamy texture & colour).
- Once tomatoes turn soft add turmeric powder, homemade sambhar/curry powder, sugar & sauté.
- Turn off heat & transfer it into a blender/mixy jar, let it cool.
- Heat the wok/kadai add tsp oil & fry cashews for a minute & transfer into the blender & mixy jar.
- We add green chilli for heat (you can add it while we sauté garlic/ginger or you can skip it too).
- We grind it paste.
- Heat the same wok/kadai/sauce pan add butter oil & gently pour the ground paste (please keep heat on low).
- Stir & add 1 cup water into the blender/mixy jar, mix & pour (Please keep heat on medium).
- As the curry starts to bubble add the chicken pieces we cooked earlier.
- Gently mix the curry.
- We cover with lid & let it come to boil.
- After few minutes open lid & once it boils well, we check if chicken is cooked.
- Add the deglazed gravy we set aside earlier (this is optional, skip if you wish).
- Add salt & mix well.
- We let it come to boil once more & then turn off heat.
- Now we add fresh cream & mix slightly (we do not mix much if we want the marble effect)
- Just before we serve we heat it & then add fresh cream mix slightly & Serve.