Delicious Masala Fish Fry, a real treat for your taste buds. For all the fish & spice lovers, here’s a simple, easy, lip-smacking yummy fish fry. You can prepare it ahead & fry it just before you serve, a really nice recipe to prepare & impress special guests.
Fish is marinated in simple humble spices, lime juice & marinated for ½ -3 hours & then just before we fry fish, we make a dry mixture of semolina/sooji, besan/chickpea flour, rice flour. We roll fish in the dry mixture & then shallow fry the fish until done.
You can make it as a starter or as a side dish, they also go great with rice & any veg/non veg gravy, dal rice, rasam rice etc.
Please do give it a try & enjoy with loved ones.
- 750 gms – Fish (I used seer fish, you can use any fish you cook with)
- 6-7 Tsp or 3-4 Tbsp oil to shallow fry fish
Wet Masala Mixture Ingredients:
- 2 Tsp – Kashmiri Dry Red Chilli powder (gives less heat or good colour, store bought)
- 2 Tsp – Coriander/Dhania powder
- ½ Tsp – Jeera/Cumin powder
- ¾ Tsp – Pepper powder (this quantity gives moderate heat)
- ½ Tsp – Fennel/Saunf powder
- ¼ Tsp – Turmeric powder (store bought)
- 1 Tsp – Ginger, Garlic Paste
- ¾ Tsp – Salt or as per your taste
- 1 Tsp – Oil
- Few Tbsp or Juice of 1 lime
*Please note: the spices used here are available in our kitchen, we can grind it at home or store bought is also good)
Dry Mixture Ingredients:
- 3 Tbsp – Besan/Chickpea Flour (for flavour, gives good coating)
- 2 Tsp – Sooji Rava/Semolina (gives crispiness when used for frying)
- 1 Tsp – Rice Flour (binding agent & for crispiness)
- ½ – Salt or as per your taste
- 1 Tsp – Homemade sambhar/Curry powder (instead you can add ½ kashmiri red chilli powder)
- We rinse fish with salt & water, drain & set aside.
- In a small bowl we mix all the wet masala ingredients, we add lime juice just till the mixture becomes a thick paste (thick paste so that they coat the fish well).
- We apply the masala to each fish piece & place them in a box.
- Please take caution as the wet masala ingredients have heat & colour so you can use gloves or work fast & wash hands with soap immediately when you finish.
- We place the box in refrigerator & let the fish marinate (you can let it marinate from ½ to 3 hours).
- I let the fish marinate for ½ hour in the freezer.
- When we wish to fry the fish, we prepare the dry mixture ingredients (you can prepare it ahead & store in refrigerator too).
- In a deep bowl we mix all dry mixture ingredients & keep it ready.
- We take each fish piece & roll it in the dry mixture, we can also drop the fish piece in the dry mixture & shake the bowl to let the mixture coat the fish well.
- Then we take the fish piece & tap on the side of the bowl to remove excess dry mixture & place it on a plate.
- We follow the same method with all fish pieces.
- We heat a heavy bottom pan, add oil as required for shallow fry (please keep heat on low or medium low).
- Once the oil is moderately hot we gently place fish & fry.
- We let the fish fry for few minutes.
- After few minutes once the sizzling of oil reduces & the fish has started to slightly brown on the sides we flip the fish pieces gently.
- We let it cook for few minutes.
- After few minutes we check fish & once the other side has also browned, we remove from the pan.
- With a spoon we gently take each fish piece gently drain the excess oil & place on a plate.
- Ready to Serve (they taste when served hot/warm).